Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Where's the sun?

No sun in what seems like weeks. I think...right? Crazy. And of course today was no different. I just had to tackle the rain outside in Central Park. I got to practice early and talked with Coach Alem a little. He suggested I go to his private training sessions which is good and all, just one slight problem... they are at 5:45 AM! Um, yeah, IN Central Park. That would mean me leaving my apt at 5am, and that is a weekday. Hmm, I think I'll stick with the regular practices for now.

Plus, my right shin has been giving me some problems. not good I know. I really don't want to find myself injured right before the marathon. So I'm icing it all the time and trying to listen to my body...which is hard because I've started getting used to "torturing" it, to some extent! I completed the first 4 race pace runs tonight (tuesday), but the last one I just did a light jog back and forth. Now it's fine, but the minute I start pounding on it again, it gives me pain.

I've been thinking about getting back into yoga. Perhaps put my gym membership on hold all together (since I never go anymore!) and join a yoga studio. Any recommendations?

2 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you got tibial stress syndrome (shin splints). This can lead to stress fractures, which is what you don’t want! The first risk factor is overtraining. Evaluate your schedule again and if you think it is not that then it may be the over-pronation of your feet, which is what I am thinking it is. You remember I was commenting about your feet and we discussed which shoes would be best for you, that is what I am referring to here. If this is the case then appropriate over-pronation running shoes, and custom orthotics are your best bet.

I would immediately decrease your running. Do not run if pain occurs during or following your run. You might even want to take a few days off from running. Swimming, easy biking (no ankle movement), and pool running are good ways to maintain fitness. The ellipse machine in the gym will be useful to test over time after a little break from running, and can always be used otherwise too. Yoga is always good, and should be combined with your regular running schedulable. This ensures that your core is strong and that your get enough stretching.

Running on soft surfaces is often recommended, however this is not likely to help you, especially if it is over-pronation. Your foot is more likely to pronate excessively on the softer surface, not good. In many cases shoes that are rated high for control of pronation may be helpful, that is when the firmer part of the shoes cushioning is located on the inner side of the shoe. Gentle stretching exercises may help, but control of pronation is probably more directly related to your cause. Icing may offer some relief, but is not a cure. But keep icing as it has other benefits too.

Cheers,
Marc

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

hi danika! sorry to hear about your shins, I definitely recommend getting back into yoga. I used to have really bad shin pain and yoga helps a lot because it really helps stretch out the muscles around your shins. I've been doing hot "power" yoga for five years, I started in Philly, now I go to a studio called Some Like it Hot Yoga on 63rd and 3rd. It's pretty pricey, but definitely worth it, and its a great workout.

I don't actually belong to a gym (cause running and yoga take up all my time), but I pulled my hamstring on Sunday (I think) so now need to do some non-running cardio, so I'm going to try out some gyms. I'm gonna shop around for the best rates, trying Bally this week, then prob NYSC, how do you like Crunch?

anyway, I'd love to come to your burger/movie thing friday but I have a friend in town and we're all going out to a big dinner! I also probably won't do the run Saturday given my injury, its the stationary bike and/or pool for me! ugh... i dread the bike more than an 18 miler!

hope your shins feel better!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home